Saturday, May 17, 2014

Sick Week

I have been a sick girl all of this week. I only worked Monday, I had Tuesday off sick and went back to work on Wednesday only to drip snot on a customers insurance policy, so I decided enough is a enough and went straight home to bed. I have had the rest of the week off work which is shocking for me. The only good thing is that I have got to watch lots of DVD's. So all I can really do is a dvd review for you, as hearing about the colour of my snot and my sore throat is kind of boring.
6/10 
Blue Jasmine, is about a New York socialite who loses everything when her Husband is done for fraud. Jasmine moves in with her Sister to start a new life. Cate Blanchett is amazing but unfortunately Woody Allen movies just don't do it for me.

5/10 
Austenland is about a woman who travels to a Jane Austen theme park in search of a perfect Mr Darcy. As corny as it is, it's kind of sweet. Or did I just overdose on cold and flu tablets while I watched this one.

9/10
 Saving Mr Banks is the story of the making of Mary Poppins. I loved seeing the life of P L Travers the author of Mary Poppins and seeing how hard it was for her to turn the book into a movie. I LOVED this movie, I cant believe that people were not ranting about this movie.
 9/10
The Book Thief is narrated by death and the movie is set during the Holocaust. Liesel is a nine year old foster child to Hans and Rosa. Hans refuses to join the Nazi's so their opportunities are limited. Hans allows Max a fugitive to move into their home. Max and Liesel strike up a strong friendship due to their love of books. I don't want to spoil it and tell you anymore just in case you haven't read the book. If you have read the book you may be a little disappointed by  certain bits being left out. But in all fairness I absolutely loved this book and movie.

7 comments:

Claudia Moser said...

Get well soon I hope you feel better! And nice choice of DVDs :)

Shybiker said...

Nice reviews. I agree with your about "Blue Jasmine" -- Cate's acting was superb but the movie wasn't. I found it horribly depressing. I'm a huge Keri Russell fan and watch her now in "The Americans" (much better than I expected). "Saving Mr. Banks" was critically acclaimed, although it didn't find a popular audience. A shame. I'm a fan of films like "The Book Thief" and wish there were more of them.

Shybiker said...

Oops... "you", not "your".

Claire said...

I'm the same about Woody Allen movies, never watched one all the way through, I do want to see Saving Mr Banks though!
I tried to read The Book Thief when everyone was raving about it and never finished that either!!
hope you're feeling better and less snotty!

Louise said...

Oh thats no good that your sick :( good idea taking the week off! I haven't even heard of saving mr banks but now im keen to watch it! hope you feel better soon lovely xx

House in Tillford said...

I wonder if I'd feel the same about Blue Jasmine- im curios to watch it but not sure if i'll enjoy a woody allen film

hope you are feeling better!

Down by the sea said...

Hope you are now feeling better. Thank you for the DVD reviews I will be looking out for these films now.
Sarah x